We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Scott Martin-Discussion Questions

Scott Martin – Discussion Questions:

In what ways have you examined fundamental beliefs about diverse

learners with respect to learning and teaching?

Regardless of what I have known or thought I was, I am now starting to see a thought process and understand my own pre-established beliefs. Understanding them, is the current station I am at… putting them into practice will come later. I am in a struggle… a sort of crossroads when it comes to what I thought I knew and what I need to know in order to understand the “diverse learners” and myself I will have in my classroom. I was living my life viewing myself as a liberal, understanding and accepting white male who held no prejudices against anyone. After this reading I now understand that the things that were so called, “status quo” were in fact complacency on my part as a white man. I must fully examine on a daily basis the systems that are in place in America that afford me the opportunity to think the way I have and then learn from this experience.

How or in what ways have you reframed your perspectives on diversity with the intent to inform future practice?

As referenced before, I am now taking every interaction that I face on a daily basis with a “grain of salt”. I am actually pausing for a moment to see things from the other angles, which include many facets. I don’t exactly know how I am going to process and implement my own thought process as of yet, other than raising my own questions to foster discussion with the situations that I am in. I understand that from the centuries of the privilege I have benefited from as a white male, I have a position of power, whether warranted or not. The issue and task at hand now is to take this position of power I have been given and make it work for the good of everyone, white, black, yellow, red and purple. The hardest part with having power is knowing how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment