We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflection..

In what ways have you examined the fundamental beliefs about diverse learners with respect to learning and teaching?

I believe that my growth and knowledge as well as my beliefs about diverse learners with respect to learning and teaching is something that will grow and evolve with each event that takes place in class, with students, while reading or during discussions. I think that my fundamental beliefs are sound; I have the background and the knowledge to understand diverse learners and the ways in which they function. I know that I do not know everything, but teaching to learners with diverse needs is something that takes patience, practice and revision. Each student will learn differently in each situation and therefore as teachers we need to be hardworking and vigilant to work towards finding the best practices for our classrooms, as well as our individual students. I also know that these best practices used for diverse learners are in reality interventions that would be positive for a whole class environment as well, therefore making a more rewarding and cohesive classroom environment.

How or in what ways have you reframed your perspectives on diversity with the intent to inform future practice?

I believe that my perspectives on diversity have stayed the same throughout this book which is a positive feeling in my eyes. My undergraduate program used a framework in which social justice was weaved into our everyday thoughts and practices. I do recognize “white privilege” more often after reading Howards book, but I also recognize privileges that everyone takes. I know that I have the ability to help my students grow into great human beings who are residents of this worldwide community, but in the same respect I wonder how much anything will ever truly change. There has always been a scape goat or a group of people that has been beaten and bruised and looked down upon; this has been true since the beginning of time. Is this feeling of being better or entitlement engrained into our DNA, or can we change it one person as a time?

No comments:

Post a Comment