We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chapter 7 - Noelle Stappenbeck

Creative Connector
"Cornel West is right; the race card is always at play. How teachers deal with it is what makes the difference in the lives of our students." (p.122)
I feel that the first part of the statement is true because of the ignorance of many people, not just the white/dominant group. I think that still in society today people are always blaming things on "race". But how do we really get away from this? As Gary mentions over and over again, there have been so many attempts to help shift people's stereotypes, and assumptions regarding race and ethnicity, who is truly the dominant group? In today's society it isn't just about race in all places socioeconomic status plays a huge role, there are very many African American people that are very well off and have created very successful lives of their own and for their children. But then still we go back to the statement "the race card is always at play". I really don't think that Gary or anyone else can truly abolish this idea/statement by saying what should happen/what teachers should do, we as teachers are only part of the whole of society!! Yes we can help shift ideas but close to ideas stated throughout the book is that children learn from their environment and the people they live with and those are going to be the influences that they are most strongly passionate towards.

"Deciding to go into teaching must be a decision from the heart." (p.125)

I feel this is so true. Even when I was a student I could tell which teachers had passion for teaching and which of them were there only because they had to be, or they were simply burnt out. I’ve known that I have wanted to work with young children since I was about middle school aged. I wasn’t sure what kind of teaching I wanted to do or if I wanted to go into youth leadership etc., but I knew that I loved helping kids younger than me, and caring for others. I think that it takes a truly compassionate person to be a teacher, they have to care about their students, care about what they are teaching, and they also have to realize that they are continuing to learn each day them selves.

Essence Extractor

“Our work is a life-long journey…” “This is our vision, this is our unfinished work”

2 comments:

  1. You made a huge statement with the last sentence of your post. "…they also have to realize that they are continuing to learn each day themselves". I found that out early on in student teaching… a lesson I didn't learn form my previous careers in graphic design and foodservice management. I spent many a day walking around thinking I WAS right I knew what WAS the way to do things and HOW to do them. I told everyone that worked under me and some above me that MY answer was THE answer. Maybe part of my stubborn nature, maybe ignorance, most likely the latter, but I lost one design job I had because of this stand I took of being RIGHT. In translation to our book, it could be a stand that we all think we are right, but in actuality, is anyone right at all? I learned from student teaching that, I actually know nothing! I need to be fluid and learn from everything and everyone around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commonly it has been seen that regardless of whether the structure of an item isn't sufficient, it is the logo of the organization that advances the clearance of that item. An appropriately structured corporate logo configuration guarantees that the equivalent is basic and in the meantime depicts about the organization. It is the correct hand of the organization and makes or break one.logo design service

    ReplyDelete