We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chapter 8

REACH

In all the heated discussion and conversation over this book I figured I would change it up and try to end on a semi-positive note.  As apposed to doing a creative connector, I figured I'd use this last review chapter to sort of do a creative connector of the book in it's entirety and explore the positive aspects of the REACH program founded by Howard.

I think that in terms of the book I really connected with what gary speaks to in this last chapter about the importance of teaching multi-perspectives, histories and better promote a pluralistic history.  I think too often it's African American History, Native American History, History which as Howard puts it is the white history.  I think that while it's essential to include all these perspectives I want to see them integrated into one strong stand out curriculum as opposed to separate entities.  The goal is to teach to the entirety of the human experience, the commonality the difference, the distractions. When we promote multiculturalism the goal, from my perspective is to begin to form an integrated history so that when we teach African American history, it's not just african American month.  The goal is to create a fluency with difference so that it in turn becomes a commonality of all of our daily existence....

No comments:

Post a Comment