We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Scott Martin - Chpt 8

Scott Martin - Creative Connector: Chpt. 8

“Whiteness has been associated for centuries with racism and dominance.”

I have recently written two papers on the history of racism and in particular the Eurocentric influence in the United States upon the creation of whiteness and thus the formation of racism. I found in my research something quite interesting on this Howard quote; also taking into account previously stated interest in history. Tim Wise, another white anti-racist activist, He spoke, in paraphrase, stating: the full idea of what we, as Americans, know about racism was born on the shores of our country. He talked about being of Scottish descent and what was shown of dominance within whites was from Highlanders and Lowlanders killing each other. Normans and Saxons. Not having spent years of history class outside of The USA, I am now wondering what other cultures face and have faced in the forum of racism. We get most of our roots of white dominance from Western Europe, do they as well, face these same struggles and issues as we do?

“The reward for transformative White educators is that we have a vision worthy of a lifetime of work.”

I fully agree with Howard that this idea of transformation needs to be and should be at the forefront of our work as educators. Yet, I also believe that this is not our only goal. This actually goes with out saying, we have subject matter each of us has chosen to pass along inspiration and direction to each of our students. I have the arts, which I believe can be, and should be, a huge platform for social change. Historically, the arts, at least in the modern standpoint, have and will continue to be the forefront of ideal, change, and transformation. Monet didn’t just make “blurry” paintings to just make them. He was trying to show a different point of view in seeing the world around us.

“It is important to acknowledge that White educators cannot travel alone on the road to authenticity and social healing.”

Again I am brought back to a question about the difficulty of this ideal. By no means to I stand against it or even trying to get into the way of it. I stand in the path of believing we can make this happen. Yet I am back to the “what good can one man do”? It was never stated in this book to be an easy road, or a road without its struggles, with out its pain. This road is to be very uphill, very treacherous. I have to wonder about the delivery of this information. Understandably, I have been gifted with this knowledge and discovery as a grad student in education. The majority of America do not go past high school. I have the invaluable forum of becoming a teacher where each and every student can hear my understanding and path towards the end of “marginalized groups”. I just have absolutely NO control over what they do with this… I am not alone, but where the society of America stands today… I am, in fact, alone.

Scott Martin - Essence Extractor: Chpt 8

Obviously a conclusion… here is the building blocks, and now you have to use those blocks to figure out who you are, who everyone else is and then put it to use for that “new” style of thinking. Daunting task yes. Impossible? Maybe. Yet, if everyone can open their understanding of themselves, there is a MUCH better chance of finding truth for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment