We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chapter 6

Creative Connector

“My friends and colleagues from other racial groups often tease me about ‘acting white,” particularly when I become overly concerned with details and time constraints. I usually take these jibes in the light-hearted way they are intended, but I also want to challenge that acting white has any consistency or singular meaning” (Howard, 101).

I agree wholeheartedly with what Howard starts out saying in this chapter. I think being socially conscious we have to question the social constructs that we create. I can relate to this quote on a personal level, yet I am usually on the opposite side of the fence. I am usually running late or am rushing around simply to be on time; this goes for anything – deadlines, class, or social events (I’m usually pretty good about being early to work). One of my black friends who was born in Ethiopia is always saying that I am on C.P.T. (color people time). This is an interesting dynamic; my black friend is applying a negative construct (about people of color) towards me, a white person. Although it is just a joke between friends, the fact that I know what C.P.T means, and can regularly joke about it is a problem. It is a social construct that I am applying, (or he is applying) towards a whole group of people.


Essence Extractor

“We have a choice as White people to become champions of justice and social healing.”

As teachers, no matter the color of our skin, we have the opportunity to be champions of justice and social healing. The best way to give our students power is through knowledge and ensuring that they reach their own potentials, while educating them on being agents of change.

2 comments:

  1. your comments about C.P.T. are quite interesting. I also have many racial based jokes with my black friends back and forth as you do with your friends. Between friends they are completely harmless and in my opinion actually create a stronger bond between friends. Its just too bad that there have been some of those stereotypes created in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I agree that the jokes do create a bond but its too bad that the jokes are based off of negative constructs/stereotypes. In all possibility this phrase could have been made up as a joke, but I'm sure it probably wasn't and it is probably used in a negative manner much more prevalently.

    ReplyDelete