We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Chapter Five

Scott Martin - Creative Connector: Chpt. 5

“… race itself is a social construct, a learned category. Its meaning is communicated through interaction with our own and other racial groups”. (p. 89)

We as teachers, have a seemingly insurmountable task ahead of us. To first find our own openness to racial understanding and acceptance, then to take these ideals of change and to begin to show the students that we influence so heavily. Yet, it doesn’t stop right there. These students come from their own racial groups, surrounded by their own social constructs. What they have learned before they walk through the door of our classroom. That seems to me to be the hardest and most daunting task at hand.

Yes, I may, according to Howard, find my own understanding of my White Identity and openness to other racial groups, but, how do I even begin to show that ability and understanding to those that haven’t arrived at this level of understanding. How do I go about influencing and opening lines of communication with those students and families that have spent years creating their own perceptions of what “otherness” means to them? Many, given the chance and opportunity, I believe, will be more than willing to extend acceptance to others. But, there will always be those few that just can’t comprehend that acceptance, that is the scary fact.

“Whites, for the most part, are not accustomed to seeing ourselves as racial beings”. (p. 89)

I found this an interesting topic, it sparked numerous thoughts within my mind. Basically, for me, I found it like looking at the topic from another perspective, from a different angle. I began to think about the fact that I never had to explain myself, to defend who I was, where I came from, and what I was to become. I didn’t have to come to grips with the past, other than ideals describe in earlier posts about my Irish heritage, but again, I was never part of the struggles of the Irish immigrants. The question comes to my mind though, what is it like to actually see yourself having race? What is it like to have to know that you are a “racial being”? Finally, what is it like to wake up and know you had absolutely no control over being given that stigma?

“The pseudo-independence stage begins when we acknowledge White responsibility for racism and confront the fact that White people have intentionally or unintentionally benefited from it”. (p. 96)

Again, this is one of those comments that a bit difficult to read. One the initial reading, it was again like Howard was “slapping Whites on the wrist”. Another scolding for being White, piling on the guilt once again. Responsibility for everything, racism is all your fault. When I read it again and in the context of the developmental stages, I began to understand that it is more of a guilt by association, that in fact goes both ways. I am guilty because of centuries of white dominance, and the other racial groups are guilty for being born what they are as well. Whites, without a doubt, have benefited for centuries because of their skin color, and I am sure I have as well in some manner.

Scott Martin - Essence Extractor: Chpt 5

Chapter five shows the process and/or hierarchy of the way one would discover first their own racial identity before moving into acceptance with other racial groups. Most of this chapter deals with Howard’s description of Helms and Piper’s stages of identity development. It is broken into six stages covering two phases. This ideal of identity development gives a mapped out psychological if not scientific “roadmap” to one’s understanding of their racial identity.

4 comments:

  1. Scott I totally relate to your struggle with opening communication with diversity as a white teacher. There is a stigma placed on teacher as the majority of us are white- that we are either racist and unable to accept all students or stuck in the ideal of the white savior who is out to help all the children of the world.

    I think when it comes to actually teaching in a classroom the challenge is to teach all students in a diverse and individualized way. While it's seemingly impossible to create IEP's for all students to make sure they get the education they need and deserve, the really role of the teacher is to know their students well enough to supply that support and individualized attention without needing a written program. If we take the time to know our students, to customize their education to meet their needs and make our lessons relevant to their lives, I think a lot of the white teacher stigma will fall away. The best thing to do it build the trust- once you have trust the rest falls into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Stigma" is quite a harsh depiction or label for teachers. For example, Ladson-Billings who is an exemplary nationally renowned teacher educator wrote "Dreamkeepers" It is a book that examines the successful practice of teachers of African American students. Based on her study, Ladson-Billings, concluded that teachers from the dominant culture can be effective teachers of diverse students. Greg Mitchie who will be speaking at Nazareth is male and also from the dominant group who taught successfully. The challenge in engaging this material is to view the information from multiple perspectives so that interpretations are not based on individual perceptions or a single idea. Remember the video "The Danger of the Single Story." I look forward to a response from the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree- I believe that white teachers do have a stigma placed on them when going into racial diverse, or urban settings. I'm not by any means saying that the dominant culture can not be effective teachers of diverse students, that would go against my entire philosophy and belief system as an educator. The example you gave above are entirely valid examples but my question would be, do they represent the vocal, exception to the rule.

    And if so not then what formulates this white teacher stereotype?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thought- provoking question Alicia. Unfortunately- in the larger culture- "teachers" in general are receiving a great deal of critical scrutiny. There is a "gap" in bringing to the forefront what sucessful teachers accomplish except in high profile cases. They don't have the time to publish etc. This is where higher education needs to build stronger relationships with teachers in urban settings. Teaching is a largely female profession and the lack of "voice" speaks to society's continued tensions in the area of gender equity.

    ReplyDelete