We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Noelle Stappenbeck

Creative Connector Ch. 1-2
1) The part where he goes back home and he feels like he doesn't fit in with his own kind and family. pp. 19-20 When I come came home from college and my brother and family had started attending church more regularly together because my father had just recently been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. My father was given 6-9 months to live so my parents and brother were seeking a miracle and trying to find that with faith. I was so upset with the whole situation that I was rejecting everything and everyone and I really didn't understand how they could try to find faith in God at this moment in time when, I was questioning why God did this to our family?! At every meal they had began to "bless" the meal before we ate. They spoke about the Bible etc. and I just felt very uncomfortable with my own religious identity. Especially with all that was going on at the time. So I can understand how he feels when he feels as if he does not fit in.

2) p. 23 "I was immersed in different cultures around the world, I found myself alone one night on a moonlit beach at Byron Bay, on the east coast of Australia."...tour of Aboriginal Australia...She had taken me to many of important places, the prominent physical features of the land that are central to the stories and songlines of her tradition...I was drawn into their world,...stories...the land itself...the spirit of the landscape."
This reminds me of when I visited New Zealand and Australia, in New Zealand we were taken and given a tour of the original Maori Tribe's, the indigenous people of New Zealand's, sacred land. The land was beautiful and breath taking. It was full of natural geysers, sulfur pools, and even rock that was heated that you could sit on. They preformed a warrior dance to welcome us. And we were invited to a traditional Maori boar roast. It was so amazing to learn about them.

3) p. 25 When he visits his "ancestral homeland for my father's side of the family" He talks about how it was so cool to see where his ancestors were from etc. I'd love to visit Germany some day where there is actually a town of "Stappenbeck" and a castle that is in ruins. A few of my cousins have gone and visited and they were able to meet people we are related to. They were shown the records of the town and found our great great grandfather. I'd absolutely love to go there someday.

Essence Extractor Ch. 1-2

White dominance and social identity. The author him self is struggling to fit in he doesn't feel comfortable in his "own skin" with/around his own people.


1 comment:

  1. Noelle, I think that is such a powerful post. I think our society is so uncomfortable with differences that when someone choose a different path it becomes threatening.

    When I came back from touring concentration camps in Poland I really began to question my faith and had a hard time going back to church and my back to my religious "routines". I got alot of confusion and frustration from my Father who had/has a hard time understanding my concerns and my changing religious identity. In some sense I can really relate to how you felt with your family.

    ReplyDelete