We Can't Teach What We Don't Know

We Can't Teach What We Don't Know
White Teachers in Multiracial Schools

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Alicia Arendt Chapters 1-2




Creative Connector-
I found the below concept very poignant to my life and it related to my 4 years of undergraduate work.  A passage in chapter 1 discussed how there isn’t a choice of color.  It went on to say white people can choose to come in and out of a culturally black setting where as the opposite side lacks that choice.  It is not an option to not be black; it is the life they live 24-7. 
This passage struck me as I spent 2-3 days a week, over the course of 4 years, going in and out of the city of Rochester to work with youth in a variety of capacities.  I was struck with the levels of poverty and segregation still prevalent in the city, but as a person of dominance, I got up and left at the end of the day .  In opposition my students did not have that choice, it was their reality.

“If I wanted to help excise the caner of racism, I had to go to the source of the tumor.”           
I found the above quote relevant to my life for several reasons.  As I stated earlier, much of my college years were spent in the city.  While it is important to read books, such as this and study about multicultural for myself, the greatest problem lies in the source of the tumor. As a white educator the challenge is to bring my understanding, experience and knowledge into more ignorant, poorly informed areas in order to help excise the caner of racism.

Essence Extractor-
Chapter 1-
Oppression is perpetuated by dominance and societies lack of acknowledgement.

Chapter 2-
Inequality in schools continues to exist due to white dominance.

Rigorous Researcher-
I wanted to gain more information about what the achievement gap is and why it is significant.
To better understand the achievement gap I found several links and graphs posted below.  I though this was an important topic to discuss further as it reflects the role of educators and stresses educators role in multicultural education.

1 comment: